Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Fabulously Fabulous Dinner


The Gala Dinner organized by PT foundation was probably one of the best “annual” dinner I have attended. It was held on Nov 12 at PGRM building in Cheras. My darling and I went with the attitude of giving PT support but were pleasantly surprised and entertained by the event. My darling has been telling his friends what a great show they have missed because a few of them didn’t want to go to the dinner.

I think everybody enjoyed the dinner that night including the volunteers and the performers as well as, very obviously, the two marvelous MCs. Edwin and Nell did a great job in musing us. Though Edwin’s drag was amazing but Nell was also fabulous amid a majority gay audience. The performances were not perfect but they were entertaining, especially the three manly drag queens, I have to say they stole the show. Performers were sincere and it can tell that they were really enjoying themselves. But the performer who stole the limelight was a PT stuff, Jeremy. His Charlie’s Angels Lucy Liu’s style ‘dance’ with a group of underwear only hunks (well, kind of hunks) was, well, fabulously fabulous! And guess what, his parents were in the audience! Later I asked what his parents would think of his “performance”, he said, “I'll deal with that later.” What a cool guy!

I was especially touched by the award giving ceremony. Seldom, I care much about these award giving affairs but this one was inspiring. PT Foundation was giving out appreciation awards to people who have supported and still supporting the foundation for the past 20 years. What inspired and touched me was that the people who received the awards were from all walks of life and majority of them were ordinary people who just wanted to help. To use the words of my darling, “they are low key people”. The one award that impressed me was the award to JAWI. The representative to receive the award was a tudung lady who had no problem shaking a man’s hand. Later while we were leaving, I saw a group of JAWI people talking with Hisham outside the building. There was not only one lady representing JAWI; there were a group of them! Oh my, they sat through the whole dinner watching all the performances…and no police coming to shut down the party! Malaysia is not that hopeless after all.

My darling gave me a good description of the whole evening, “they are full of love”. Yes, that is probably the most apt description. I sincerely pray to the divine power that he/she will continue to watch over PT Foundation and bless all the work they are doing for the LGBT community as well as work in education and prevention of HIV/AIDS. Bravo PT!

BLISS

No comments:

Post a Comment