Friday, November 20, 2009

I'm married!


Nov 20, 2009 (Fri, 1.40am)

Yes! Finally I created my first blog, ever! Why? Because I got married. Yes! I'm married on November 14, 2009. Something I thought I never would do but I did it!

Still remember the morning I got the sms from him, "why don't we just get married?" And I answered, "why not?" And the rest was history.

The preparation of the ceremony prompted a few ferocious fights; one was before a good friend of his. I wonder what he thought of me or our relationship after that frightening experience. But he showed up in the ceremony, happily helping us and congratulating us. Guess his confidence in our relationship had returned when he saw after all the fights and heartaches, we still wanted to marry to each other.

I finally came out to my family, all because of the wedding. And the response..."we already knew, just waiting for you to tell us." Majority of them showed up at the ceremony. Those who didn't show were because of prior engagement; all had to do with work. It was a pleasant surprise for me. I knew they will be ok with my gender preference but I had never expected such support from them.

As for my darling, none of his family had shown. He told me to say that his family was very conservative so it was better that they didn't show. And it didn't seem to bother him at all seeing 90% of my family members were there but none of his shown. He cried right before the ceremony start, not because of the no showing of his family but he was so excited to marry me.

Some asked, can get married meh in our country like that? Well, depends on how you define marriage. My darling kept saying to people before the ceremony, "we are already married but we just want a ceremony to share with friends and family." To us, being married is an attitude. It's in our hearts, not on a piece of paper.

Marriage basically consists of two people who are deeply in love with each other and couldn't live without each other therefore they don't really have a choice but to be with each other.

Besides the bad English and the unromantic expression, I think I have basically defined what the spirit of marriage is. Anything out of that definition is not a marriage even though society and law recognize it as a marriage, it's just a zombie marriage, without the soul.

I do have to say after the ceremony, both of us feel different for each other. My darling says we love each other more deeply which I think he is right. I also feel free. No longer I need to "hide" from my family. In fact, they have accepted him as part of the family and my sister was talking about us giving ang pao during this coming Chinese New Year...oh well....

BLISS

3 comments: